Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Experience with Prostate Cancer Transformed by a Bible Verse


 Ps 50:15
Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me.

The first prayer that came from my lips after my Urologist told me he felt a suspicious lump on my prostate and I’d need a biopsy was a one-word prayer. I prayed: HELP.

I was amazed in many ways that prayer was answered. One of the first answers to my prayer was finding this YouTube video titled:
Help Is On The Way” What Michael W. Smith says before the song was as meaningful as the song itself. Check it out at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSN7u5nwnIY

I listened to this song multiple times a day.  Throughout each day I sing chorus “Help is on the way” dozens of times every day. Each time I’d sing this chorus my anxiety and fears were greatly diminished. Why be fearful when help was on the way.

The first wave of help came through praise songs and hymns. Two additional songs were also my favorites:
A. Laua Story- Blessings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CSVqHcdhXQ
B. Newsboys: Blessed be the name of the Lord: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLycgKxlgc0

All three songs have me the courage to face my fears and accept the reality that I could find out that cancer was in my bones, but God was still good, and He wasn’t finished with me as long as I had a breath in me.

Other sources of support came from:
Books- I found about prostate cancer
Prayers from many people- some folks sent us copies of their prayers-which truly lifted our spirits
Promises in the Bible- This is first of many of many blogs which will identify Bible verses that transformed my experience with prostate cancer.
Old & New Friends- I’d been out of touch for decades with an old friend who was my best man at my wedding. Though Facebook we renewed our friendship. He was an amazing source of comfort, support and guidance.

 I met a man through one of the on-line support groups. We both lived in CA, but hundreds of miles away. It turns out he was having surgery at UCSF and so did I. Turned out his surgeon was my surgeon. We discovered that I was going in to UCSF for a post-surgery exam on the same day he was going for a pre-surgery exam. Turned out our appointments were less than 20 minutes apart from each other. My wife and I met him and his wife at UCSF. We spoke together as if we’d known one another for years. All of us were Christians. All four of us believed our meeting was a divine appointment. We stayed in touch for more than a year supporting and praying for each other.

The 5th  source of help came through two very helpful internet websites for prostate cancer patients. They were:
1.  mdjunction:  http://www.mdjunction.com/prostate-cancer
2. prostate cancer info link: http://prostatecancerinfolink.ning.com/

At both these sites I found men further along in the journey that could provide both much need information and emotional support. These two sites became my life-line for support. I am amazed that with God’s help there is now a third site which is a faith-based site which provides information and support as well as links to a pre and post surgery forum. The 3rd site is hosted by yours truly. Eventually, I was brought to the place where I was equipped to reach out and support others at this site:
http://whereisyourprostate100.intuitwebsites.com/index.html?_=1362669513842

These were just a few of the ways in which my help that was on the way arrived. I called upon God in my day of trouble, and found a faithful and promise keeping God. If you’re in need of help I encourage you to call upon the Lord and wait faithfully because help is on the way!



No comments:

Post a Comment