Thursday, January 22, 2015

Correctly Interpreting The Signs

A few events have happened which led people to advise me these could be signs not to go through with implant surgery. As the lyrics go "Signs, Signs, Everywhere there's signs." (Five Man Electric Band)
Here's a few of those signs:

1. I get a call from UCSF telling me  to get my pre-operative testing complete because I've got surgery date of 1/16/15.  When I called UCSF Urology on  the next day I'm told that I do not have a surgery date and they have no idea when they can give me a surgery date.

2. I called UCSF Ombudsmen to help me obtain a surgery date. The next day I'm given a 1/23/15 surgery date. I feel both grateful and relieved that someone within the system is helping me. He tells me he will call me in days. I never hear from him again.

3. Two days before surgery I receive written pre-surgery instructions which tell me to report to the wrong hospital.

4. After I informed the Nurse about his sending me to the wrong hospital, he sent me an appology, but he never sent me the correct information.

5. I have to send him an E-mail requesting  information about the hospital where I'm scheduled for surgery.

A few people advised me to consider these problems as signs that  I should go to a different facility or cancel the procedure completely. I disagreed with their assessment of the signs and the lyrics to this song Kenny Rogers song came to my mind:
You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run.


The process to obtain my surgery date, and to receive accurate and correct information where to go for surgery was a difficult and mistaken ridden process. Those errors caused unnecessary stress, inconvenience and delay, but they did not undermine the confidence I have in both my Surgeon's skill and UCSF's ability to provide me with outstanding care. I find no valid reason to fold'em,walk away, or run. My surgery for an implant is on tomorrow 1/23/15.

A number of men coping with ED asked me to share my experiences which I plan to do. Here's the thread where I'll be adding information throughout the next few weeks. If you are interested check back every few days for new posts.
My Implant Journey


Rick Redner & Brenda Redner wrote their award winning book to help men and couples cope with cancer to learn more about their book check out this link:
I Left My Prostate in San Francisco-Where's Yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment