My wife and I recently released our second book, titled- Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Erectile Dysfunction and Penile Implants, This time around I'm determined not to make the very costly mistakes I made after we released I Left My Prostate in San Francisco-Where's Yours?
These mistakes cost me thousands of dollars. Here's a list of very expensive mistakes:
1. I was sold an $800 package which guaranteed bookstores refunds on all unsold books they order. It sounded great and I was convinced I'd get my book in every bookstore. The reality was I couldn't get a single book store to carry the book. A total waste of $800
2. I was sold a $1,500 press release by the publisher. If you go privately you can have a professional
write you a press release anywhere from $250-$500. I was ripped off for $1,000.
3. Book publishers can be a rip-off. I spent $1,500 per/publisher. I hired two. My $3,000
investment didn't get me a dozen book sales. That was $3,000 down the drain.
4. Hiring a Social Media Guy to set up a Twitter account cost $1,000. It cost me $1,000 to sell maybe
5. Book Reviews can make or break a book, so I went to the highly respected Kirkus review and paid
close to $500.00 for what turned out to be a great book. I was very proud. Did that review increase
book sales? Not at all. Another $500. down the drain.
$6,500 of my hard-earned money didn't advance sales at all. It turns out that a lot of people made a good deal of money off my book. Everyone except me!
This time I didn't use a $1,500 press release. I paid $250 to get professional help writing a release. Rather than pay a publicity agent $1,500 I paid Word Slinger Publicity $149.99 to send out a press release. Within 24 hours I had one request for a book review and a request for a radio interview. After those requests there was silence.
I've posted on Facebook, on ED forums and other places as well. So far two books were sold.
At this point the only place Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Erectile Dysfunction and Penile Implants is from Lulu.
Additional ads and reviews will be come once the book has world wide distribution. I'm proud of this book. The e-book will have more than fifty links with valuable information. It will be an interesting journey launching this book.