Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Milestones and Holidays


A milestone is a significant event or accomplishment that marks a noteworthy point in time.


Before I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, holidays were NOT milestones. In good health I  had the luxury to assume I’d  live to see another Thanksgiving. 


I suspect few, if any healthy folks celebrate the fact they’re alive to see another Thanksgiving. 


Additionally, in all likelihood most healthy folks take it for granted they’ll be alive next year to celebrate another Thanksgiving.


Once I became a cancer survivor, every holiday, birthday, or  anniversary became a milestone. 


What I mean by that is not only do I celebrate the holiday at hand, I celebrate the fact that I’m alive to see another holiday, birthday, anniversary, etc.


I was diagnosed with prostate cancer twelve years ago. This is my 12th post cancer Thanksgiving. 


I can’t remember when I finally stopped thinking of holidays as milestones, but ever since I turned 70, I returned to counting Holidays as milestones. 


This Thanksgiving, I make no assumptions I’ll be around next year.


I’m living without an appendix, gallbladder, and prostate. 


Additionally, I’m now a sepsis and chronic kidney disease survivor. Neither my liver or pancreas are functioning normally. 


Therefore I’m actually amazed  and grateful I’ve made it to celebrate Thanksgiving this year. 


In fact I’ve come to the place where every day is a milestone. Each day I wake up and say:

“Thank you Lord I’ve lived to see another day!”


Do you have any milestones that you celebrate? 


Some folks have a natural gift of prayer, I don’t have that gift. So I research prayers others post on-line. This prayer is a keeper for Thanksgiving:


Lord God, we gather around this table to humbly thank You for all that You have given us this past year – not just what is on this table, but who is sitting around this table.

Thank you for life and laughter, for health and happiness, for relationships and memories.

Thank you, too, for the lessons learned and the tears we’ve cried because of Your ability to grow us through them.

Thank You for Your comfort and Your presence, in light of good days and bad.

Thank You for what we have now, for what we had yesterday, and for what You will continue to give tomorrow.

Let us never take that for granted, but to always be grateful for every good and perfect gift that comes from You.

May we have hearts full of thanksgiving not only today but every day of our lives.

We pray these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Your Son, Amen.


A Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Rick Redner

Author of
&

No comments:

Post a Comment