Saturday, February 20, 2016

The Amazing Remedy for the Fear of Failure

When my wife and I wrote our first book, I Left My Prostate in San Francisco-Where's Yours?
I never expected I'd be asked to write magazine articles, have interviews on radio, blog, appear in newspaper articles, become involved in social media reaching tens of thousands of people and most anxiety producing of all- become a conference speaker. All of these doors opened after we released our first book about coping with life and love without a prostate.

Our soon to be published second book covers our four year journey with erectile dysfunction which led to penile implant surgery. As far as I can, tell there are no books on Amazon written by a couple who share their experiences with the psychological, emotional, relational, sexual, & spiritual  aspects of coping with erectile dysfunction and the changes brought about by penile implant surgery.

I believe one of two things will happen after our book is released. Either the book will be ignored and forgotten or it will attract national attention. Both of these possibilities frighten me. When you invest your time, your energy, your talent, and your money into a project, you become heavily invested in that project's success. I believe my wife and I have written a book that has the potential to ease suffering, to change lives, and to save marriages. We want to use our experiences to help other men and couples coping with erectile dysfunction.

Success usually takes time, talent, risk, and a willingness to go way beyond your comfort zone. For us success begins with prayer. We've spent lots of time in prayer during all the phases of writing our new book. How the book is received and what happens next depends upon both our faith and our efforts.

It would be effortless to allow my fear and anxiety to keep me within the bounds of my comfort zone.With two simple words my faith calls me to move  far away from my comfort zone. These two are "Fear not".) These two words are usually accompanied by a promise. Here's a few examples:

(Isa 41:10 NKJV)
Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you,   

(Isa 41:13 NKJV)
'Fear not, I will help you.' 

My personal favorite:
(Isa 43:1-3 NKJV)
Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you.  For I am the LORD your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior;

If we choose to follow in the direction God leads us, we will certainly experience fear. However God has made some very powerful promises which  has the capacity to remove our fears. What I discovered about God's timing is this: The fear doesn't go away before we step out of our comfort zone. It will go away AFTER we've stopped out of our comfort zone. 

So right here and right now, before the release of our book:
Everything You Were NEVER Told About Erectile Dysfunction & Penile Implants
Subtitle: End The Silence, Sadness, Suffering & Shame

I plan to step out of my comfort zone as many times and ways in which I'm called to do so in order to reach a significant number of  men & couples struggling to cope with erectile dysfunction. I suspect I'll need to read this many times once our book is released. 

 If you or someone you love is affected by ED and you'd like me to notify you when our book is released, drop me a line at:
copingwithed@gmail.com

Blessings,
Rick




No comments:

Post a Comment