Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Faith-What it Can & Cannot Do

Today I felt an (unwanted) call to share my medical history on different Facebook pages to emphasize different aspects of my faith.

There are things that faith can do in the face of illness, and things that faith cannot do.

It’s important to know this. 

For example faith doesn’t take away chronic pain, emotional pain, relational struggles, or protect you from the devastating effects of sleep deprivation.

I’ll never forget a day after months of severe sleep deprivation I had no strength to get of my bed. When Brenda saw me making a feeble attempt to leave the bed she asked: What do you think you are doing?

Me: I’m getting ready to go to work.

Brenda: No you’re not. You are staying in bed!

Me: I’m going to work because I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Brenda: That’s not what the verse means. Now stay in bed.

(And I did, even though, at that time, I seriously believed that verse would turn me into Superman) Except, it didn’t!

Coping with chronic  illnesses, quality of life issues and caretaking takes its toll, on individuals, on a couple, on their relationship, and the family.

All the faith in the world won’t keep a marriage together if one or both partners become, overwhelmed, isolated, depressed, angry, and self destructive and/or relationally destructive.

Drugs and/or alcohol abuse can also devastate the lives and relationships of folks with great faith. 

We’ve discovered another issue that makes it difficult to cope. Faith does NOT immunize you from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. 

We know something about this, because we’ve lived that reality.

We are now hard wired, and susceptible to repeated episodes of PTSD, when faced with trigger events.The simple surgery I’m having in November has triggered PTSD in both of us. 

The duration, and intensity, may vary, but PTST is real, and impactful. Our faith isn’t a magic wand that makes this go away

Our marriage would not have survived my medical history if we hadn’t sought outside marital counseling.

The list I’m about to share has impacted my life for decades upon decades, and it isn’t even complete.

From a standpoint of faith, one might wonder if God is so good, how/why does He allow such suffering. 

Many folks get stuck and turn their backs on God as a result of personal suffering or witnessing the suffering of others.

For me, every illness injury, disease, and surgery, is a reminder this body is only a TEMPORARY home.

Some day, sooner than later, I’ll occupy another body which is not subject to illness, injury or disease, in a place where:

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

~ Revelation 21:4~


Every piece of my medical history makes me long for that day, and I suspect will increase my sense of gratitude for being there. 

Two more observations:

•Growing old isn’t for sissies.

•Never take a healthy, pain free day for granted.


So here are some of my surgeries:

•Appendectomy 

•Prostatectomy 

•Cholecystectomy 

•Right hernia

•Left hernia

•Right Rotator Cuff

•Right Carpel Tunnel 

•Left Carpel Tunnel (In Nov)

•Right Toe Joint Replacement

•Right and left eye cataract surgery 

•Penile Implant

•Nissen fundoplication

•Multiple neural ablations

Then there are diseases which impacted me for days, weeks, months, or years, and can re-emerge at any time.

•Interstitial cystitis

•Benign positional vertigo

•Plantar fasciitis

•Bile acid malabsorption

•Prostate Cancer

•Sleep apnea

It’s simply amazing to me that as I write this, I’m on my exercise bike, doing my ten mile a day routine, and I’m able to enjoy my life, basking in God’s gracious hand.

Today my wife and I are planning a picnic in Knights Ferry, hoping to see the salmon swimming up stream.

God is good! 




No comments:

Post a Comment