Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Coping with the Physiological Aspects of Feeling Worn

When it comes to treating my prostate cancer, I consider myself fortunate, because the cancer was contained within my prostate. The need for radiation, chemotherapy, or hormone treatment was unnecessary.
I learned what I'm about to share from my personal experiences with an adverse reaction I had to a medication to control the overproduction of bile from my liver after my gallbladder surgery.
For one month, a brand medication was managing my symptoms perfectly. On month two, I wanted to reduce my out-of-pocket costs for this prescription. I asked my surgeon to prescribe a generic version of that medication. Within 24 hours after starting the generic medication, my symptoms began.
Here's the list of issues that completely wore me down within 48 hours:
  1. Loose, bile-filled stools every 20-30 minutes, around the clock for two consecutive days.
  2. Rectal pain and bleeding.
  3. Nausea and vomiting.
  4. Two sleepless nights.
  5. Total loss of appetite.
I could not believe how fast I'd deteriorated from good health to feeling as if I was bedridden. If you're coping with cancer or side effects from treatment, there are three important areas you need to attend to:

Sleep

An adequate amount of sleep is vital to your health, energy level, mood, and sense of well-being. After my prostate surgery, I came home with a catheter. For those two weeks, I knew it would be impossible for me to sleep on my stomach, so I asked my surgeon for a prescription to help me sleep. I also decided to sleep in a recliner. I slept better during those two weeks than I did for the following three months I spent living in diapers.

I had to change diapers at least once a night. I found it impossible to get back to sleep after turning on the lights, washing myself, and getting back into a new diaper. I discovered that I could put a pad in my diaper. When I felt wet I took out the pad and placed it in a plastic bag by my bed. No more lights on, washing myself, or changing my diaper. I fell back to sleep quickly.

Finding ways to get adequate amounts of sleep is vital, and sometimes a challenging aspect of coping with cancer. When I was using the bathroom every 20 minutes, I made the mistake of giving up on the idea that it was possible to sleep. I did my best to stay awake 48 hours with little or no sleep. By day two, I felt as if I'd been ill for months. After a second night without sleep, I began falling asleep for short periods of time while watching TV or reading. The value of naps can't be overstated.
For a cancer patient, pain or the side effects of treatment, will cause a serious sleep disturbance. Take your sleep disturbance as seriously as you take your cancer. Discuss this issue with your doctor.

Adequate nutrition

This is essential for your body, especially for cancer patients undergoing treatment. I made two mistakes. I stopped eating and drinking. By the end of day one, my wife, who is a nurse, began to see signs of dehydration. She went to the store and came back with Pedialyte. She told me that if I wouldn't drink Pedialyte and other fluids, she would take me to the emergency room to get rehydrated. Although I had no desire to eat or drink, I managed to drink enough fluids to keep me hydrated.

That didn't solve the problem with my lack of nutritional intake. Various forms of treating cancer can impact your desire for food, which is essential. If you've lost your desire to eat, it's important to ask for a consultation with a dietitian to learn how to maximize your nutritional intake. I was surprised that I lost seven pounds in a week as a result of fluid loss and inadequate nutritional intake.

Chronic pain 

According to the Mayo Clinic, "Not everyone with cancer experiences cancer pain, but one out of three people undergoing cancer treatment does. If you have advanced cancer — cancer that has spread or recurred — your chance of experiencing cancer pain is even higher." Pain that interferes with your ability to sleep results in a host of secondary problems. It's important to discuss your experiences with pain with your cancer treatment team. Cancer pain management is a specialty. Don't hesitate to ask for a referral if your pain level makes it impossible to sleep or if you're able to think about it during waking hours.

This month, I learned how quickly lack of sleepinadequate nutrition, and constant pain, can wear you down, drain your energy, and take away your capacity to enjoy living.

If your cancer treatment, or side effects from treatment, have worn you down, evaluate which, if any, of these issues are present. Then take the necessary steps to minimize their impact on your life.

Note: This article appeared in Prostate Cancer News Today 

Rick Redner and his wife Brenda Redner wrote two award winning books. The first:
provides men and couples with information and support before, during and after prostate surgery.

Their second book was written for couples living with!erectile dysfunction. After living with erectile dysfunction for four years, Rick chose penile implant surgery. The couple share how implant surgery changed their lives and relationship.
The title of their book is:




1 comment:

  1. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady called peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739 you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete