Saturday, March 3, 2018

Don't Let Cancer Hijack Your Sense of Humor

Proverbs-17:22
A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person's strength.

One of the first things I did after I received the diagnosis of prostate cancer was unusual. I went online to look up jokes about prostate cancer. I knew I needed to do something to break the power of the fear and terror I was feeling. I was certain finding ways to laugh about prostate cancer would accomplish this goal. As it turned out, laughter and humor were vital to my emotional, relational and physical recovery.

Research about humor confirms it is very healthy for us to laugh. Laughing about cancer or death may not come naturally, but I hope at least one of these jokes demonstrates it's possible. These jokes brought laughter into my life at a time when I desperately needed it:
Joke #1
Doctor: Well, we better discuss treatment now for your prostate cancer. I recommend hormone therapy.
Man: Are there any side-effects?
Doctor: A few. You will have a loss of potency. You might get some hot flashes. And when lost, you will have an inexplicable urge to ask for directions.


Joke #2
Doctor: I've got your test results and some bad news. You have cancer and Alzheimer's.
Man: Boy, am I lucky! I was afraid I had cancer!



Joke#3
Three buddies were talking about death and dying. One asked, "When you're in your casket and friends and family are mourning you, what would you like to hear them say about you?"

The first guy says, "I would like to hear them say that I was a great doctor of my time and a great family man."

The second man says, "I would like to hear that I was a wonderful husband and school teacher who made a huge difference in our children of tomorrow."

The last guy says, "I would like to hear them say LOOK, HE'S MOVING!!!"


I hope you laughed at least once as you read the three jokes. Make it a top priority to laugh every day. Buy a few books with jokes, or go to the library. Take out as many books as you can find that tickle your funny bone. Rent comedies, find comical posts on YouTube, spend time with comical  friends and family, or spend time with young children.

Make laughter something you do together as a couple and/or a family. Laughter is good medicine.


Note: This article appeared in Prostate Cancer News Today 

Rick Redner and his wife Brenda Redner wrote two award winning books. The first:
I Left My Prostate in San Francisco-Where's Yours?
provides men and couples with information and support before, during and after prostate surgery.

Their second book was written after the couple dealt with erectile dysfunction for four years following Rick's double nerve sparing surgery. The book was written for men and couples coping with erectile dysfunction. The title of their book:
Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Erectile Dysfunction and Penile Implants.

No comments:

Post a Comment